Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Lunch bag and another pillowcase

Look what I threw together in an afternoon with just three fat quarters! A new lunch bag for me(!), with a bottom big enough to hold my plastic containers, so I don't have to put them in on their sides. I sincerely dislike when my food containers leak. 

And it has this handy little drawstring cover on top to hold the contents safely inside and, at the same time, makes the contents discreet. I changed the pattern slightly to accommodate less seams and larger whole fabric pieces, but the design and size are the original.

I can hardly wait for work tomorrow, just so I can pack my lunch. 

And this is the other pillowcase I made, which now surrounds the pillow on the other half of my bed. 

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Receipts and a pillowcase

So, while I'm still on the quest to try and use up my fabric scraps and stash, I have found a way to also use up those pesky receipts I get everywhere.

I have been making paper foundation fabric strips.

 Then I take the strips and run them through my Accuquilt cutter and make signature blocks with them.

 By adding some white triangles, I am now in the process of making another scrap happy quilt top.

 And if I add another solid besides the white, it adds another dimension to it.

 Still a work in progress, so I don't know yet how it will look all together.

Another quick and easy project I found is the magic pillowcase. It uses up about a yard of fabric, so it's a great stash buster for larger pieces, and goes together in about an hour.

 I don't have a serger, so it was important to me that there were no exposed seams. I don't want it to fray. Definitely going to make more of these!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Stash busting tumblers and a runner

Have I mentioned how much I love my Accuquilt

This top only took me three hours to cut out with my tumbler die and throw together. Made with kids prints and scraps from other quilts. It was a great opportunity to use up bright happy pieces in my stash that I was in love with.

I had so much fun, I decided to make a second, more scrappy, tumbler top. I have a feeling this will be my 'go to' die shape now for larger pieces of leftovers and quick quilts. Maybe, I might even preplan one of these in some new and wonderful fabric line out there... Hmmm...

I also managed to construct this lovely runner made of five inch charm squares in a morning. And by construct, I mean sew squares together, put it together with backing and batting, and stitch in the ditch! It was a fast, easy pattern that I saw on youtube from Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company. I just love watching her vidoes. She makes everything so easy.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

No measure Bargello

I watched a video on youtube about making a bargello quilt without measuring and it looked surprisingly easy. I have had a book about bargello quilts for years, but never worked up the courage to work on one, because they seem so time intensive. 

I ordered the pattern and I ordered some fabric. I opted for batiks, in bright colors, as that is what I am attracted to, and it all arrived. Time to put the strips together.... But which way?

For two days, I arranged and rearranged the strips, trying to find a pleasing distribution, all the while wondering why I ordered these fabrics... 

In the end I opted for this layout. Then came the choice for backgrounds. I had enough grey or enough white in my stash, so I decided on the grey, thinking I don't want that pink to bleed into white. 

I followed the directions and watched my quilt top grow.

And then it was done. If I want to make it throw size, I can leave it as is; just quilt and bind. Or I can add borders and make it a bed size. Haven't decided yet which I want.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ten fat quarters

I just love how my accuquilt cutter slashes the time required to make blocks. The pieces cut accurately, so they fit together accurately, and piecing is a breeze. Plus, did I mention how much faster it is to cut this way?

I picked eight fat quarters from my stash and added two more from my local quilt shop, for a total of ten. (Did I mention that I'm trying to use up my stash?) I cut them up using the signature die and the coordinating half square triangle.

Then it was just a matter of sewing together the blocks.

 I love how the seams just match perfectly...

And the size of the block is exact, even when sewing on the bias like this one...

 Without borders, just right for a baby quilt at 40x45".  This will definitely be on my "do it again" list.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Simpler is better

So, for my One Block Wonder, once I had it all sewn together, the challenge became how to make it look more finished; what kind of border(s) to use. I played around with a few ideas, but in the end, decided less is more and left it at this:

Then I also decided that one of these quilts was enough. Pretty sure I won't get the urge to do another any time soon.

I'm adding this one to my growing pile of tops that I want to quilt myself on a long arm machine. A local company offers classes that teach how to use one (you learn how on a charity quilt), then lets you rent time in their studio to do your own quilting. This is how I will decide if I really want to own a long arm, or if I just think I do.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Fabric box

Quick and easy project that took less than an hour to put together from stash fabric.

Tutorial available on this other blog if you would like to make your own: